Anjali was shopping quite a lot since a few days. Her husband had no clue why. She was getting the latest sarees and matching jewellery. She was asking her husband for good interiors in the house though that was not really required. She was spending more money on cosmetics too. Her husband overheard her conversation with her friend wherein she was mentioning a particular character in a TV serial (Soap Opera) wearing the latest designer saree. It became certain that she was getting influenced by the TV serials that she sees. The houses in the serials, the settings, the jewellery and latest designs worn by the characters influenced Anjali in trying to have her areas of life look like that of the serial.
It is only natural for people to crave for things that they do not have. The most common thing that influences them is media, where classy and posh sides are shown which can have adverse impact on brains of individuals who are not content with what they have. ‘Follow celebrity’ is one such phenomenon that could drive people to spend uncontrollably.
SOME TIPS TO INCULCATE CONTENTMENT IN YOUR LIFE
- DO NOT RELATE MATERIALISTIC GAINS TO HAPPINESS
- For example, wearing jewellery and latest sarees, as Anjali was doing, are only going to cause temporary pleasure. It is not true happiness.
- Anjali should think about her budget before spending.
- STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS
- There will always be people better than you and worse than you. Anjali should focus on her own family more.
- Do not imitate
- Be yourself. Do not try to be someone else. Anjali can never find happiness if she imitates, as she will never feel beautiful as fashion trends change everyday.
- TV SERIALS ARE FOR BUSINESSES TO MAKE MONEY
- The more glamorous the actor looks on TV, the more viewers view it. It does not mean you need to look as glamorous as the TV anchor or actor.
- Anjali should try to look beautiful as per her taste.
- BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE
- You have a wonderful family, or friends, good education and a healthy body. Anjali should be thankful for what life has given her first.
- DEVELOP FRIENDSHIPS
- Anjali should take time to interact with people, spend time with them and befriend them.
- Do not spend a lot of time watching TV as TV viewing causes low level of happiness which does not last.
- APPRECIATE NATURE AROUND YOU
- Anjali should take some time to walk around, feel the beauty of the trees, the wind, the birds. Try to find pleasure in small things.
- LISTEN TO ADVICE BY NEAR AND DEAR
- If Anjali’s husband suggests her to reduce her spending and not to get too much influenced by the TV characters, she should at least acknowledge it instead of getting angry.
Happiness is like a butterfly, the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder – Popular quote of Henry David